Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Vegetable Soup

I always say I am not Betty Crocker...but I do have recipes that I love to make...and here is one!  Well, this is not really a soup...at least the way I make it, it is more of a chili.  One of my friends gave me this recipe a few years ago...and I love it.  I like to make it in the summer because of all the fresh seasonal veggies, but it is also great when it is cold outside!

Ingredients:
1 T Olive Oil
1 small onion diced (I actually only use half an onion)
2 garlic cloves (minced)
1 tsp Sea Salt (optional)
1 tsp pepper
2 zucchini squash (halved lengthwise, thinly sliced crosswise)
2 carrots (thinly sliced)
1 T chili powder (I normally don't add...to hot for the girls)
1 t ground cumin
2 cans low sodium black beans (rinsed and drained)
1 can crushed tomato (or you can chop up fresh tomatoes...it is really good)
1 pkg. frozen corn (I use fresh in the summer and frozen in the winter)

In 5 qt. heavy pot, heat oil over med. high, add onion and garlic, salt and pepper.  My favorite smell is onion and garlic cooking together.  Cook about 3-4 min, then add Zucchini, carrots, chili powder and cumin.  Cook 6-8 min. Add beans, tomatoes, corn and 1 cup of water (you can add more or less depending on how thick or thin you would like it).  Cook for about 8-10 minutes.

We eat this with tortilla chips and top with any of the following:

Avocado, cherry tomatoes, cheese, ect.

Enjoy

1 comment:

Katherine said...

I've been thinking about you guys! I'm praying for Jonathan and Caitlyn every day.