Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Moments

We all have them...moments in life that you will remember forever...some good ones some not.  The day you were married, a first date, an incredible sight, birth of a child, etc...the list goes on and on.  I, like you, have many moments that I will never forget...there are lots of those that are covered in tears...but those are moments that make up who I am.  This past weekend I got to experience another moment that I will not soon forget.  I headed to Dallas, TX to watch my incredible brother walk across the stage and get his Masters of Theology Degree!  It is not the degree that created the moment...it was the fact that I watched this man (who I used to just call my younger brother) accomplish something he has been working so hard at...and that life and health have made so difficult to do.
The Graduate himself
Many of you know his journey and his struggles...and through this 17 year process God has shown himself over and over...as I continue to watch my brother take on each challenge with a "why not me" attitude instead of the human "why me"?
The real moment actually came on Friday evening as my brother, Caitlin (his wife), my mother, my dad Caitlin's mother and myself sat in their apartment.  Jonathan had missed a call from his doctor (the head of transplant at Baylor), so he proceeded to call him back.  He put his phone on speaker, and using his own words, "we were either going to rejoice together or cry together", and we waited to hear what the Dr. would say.  His words...the board approved Caitlin as the donor...all we have to do now is set the Transplant Date!  Screams, cheers, tears filled the room...and gratitude...gratitude for a God that preforms miracles and for one who asks us to not worry but to trust.

Jonathan flanked by his two biggest cheerleaders...and by one who he shares a kidney with and one he soon will...that is CRAZY!
Caitlin's kidney was rescanned last week and they said it was all clear so they just had to wait for the transplant board to approve it....and it still seems surreal.  To be told by man (many men that is) that there will be no match for him...to be given little hope...but to hold onto the everlasting hope that says God is in every little thing...and to see that God had a match all along!
Proud sister with her amazing brother

The journey is not over...the road for recovery and for Jonathan's body to accept the kidney will be ongoing...but we rest in the hope that God gives all of us.  Continued prayers are most welcomed...here is their site for updates and other things.


2 comments:

Robin Lyles said...

Wow Lauren! What an amazing story and blessing. Thanks for sharing and keeping us updated. Prayers for the whole family. Great is thy faithfulness. xo Robin

Shannon said...

AMEN!!!! Praying for him and the whole family!