Saturday, April 18, 2009

Marley and Me

So, I guess you just don't ever really know how things are going to affect you until you are right there in it! Meaning...Jason and I finally watched Marley and Me last night. We had read the book a few years ago and loved it... brought me to a mess of tears. I have been dying to see it, but keeping my distance as well, knowing what was to come...more tears. But, having said that, I was not prepared for the movie. I mean when we read the book, it was us...just with two dogs that embodied Marley in the book.

Ellie, being the part of Marley that was by your side 24/7, who knows when you need sympathy, who can cuddle with the best of them, and who we have had since the start of "us"; and then there is Bailey: the one who yes, ate through drywall, ate 40lb bags of dog food, runs away, chews through leashes, eats underwear, socks, rocks, towels, garbage bags, you name it; but loves until the day is done. Both of them love Reese and are so gentle with her...Bailey from the beginning has been like a guard dog around her at times. And she loves them, we have our daily time with them...as must!
So, with that being told watching the movie, we felt like we were watching "us" in a sense. I normally think that movies do a bad job of representing a book, but in this case I feel like the movie made the story more real-to-life, for us anyway. The every day ups and downs of having a dog, adding a child, another child, staying at home, bills, work, stress, wanting to kill the dog, and just living. I cried...I mean really cried and was just thankful for the life I have...for the bad days, for the great days, for the days that just seem to slip by and for my husband, daughter, another daughter on the way, and my two crazy, annoying, loveable best friend dogs! Jennifer Anniston's portrayal of the struggles she had staying home and the things she said were so on target for me. A choice I made, yes, and one I would NEVER change...but different than I thought and harder...but that is life!
For all of my dog loving friends...if you have not seen the movie...you must. And for those of you
who aren't into the dog thing...it is a must see as well! And as you can see from our Christmas pictures from this year...having Ellie and Bailey in the picture is hard but a must for us! Luckily our amazing photographer, Graham, was very understading and patient as well! (she is a dog person)

4 comments:

The Reeds said...

You are SO right!! It's a great movie! I watched it when I was 37 weeks pregnant and could not pull myself together for hours. I keep meaning to buy it. Thanks for the reminder:)

The Carters said...

As a dog person, I love that post! Believe it or not, I haven't seen that movie but it's b/c I am afraid I won't be able to stop crying. Now that I can watch it in the privacy of my own home however, I may have to just grab the tissues and watch it. Also, I think those pictures are fabulous!

Shannon and Clint said...

I just heard that you were pregnant! Congrats!! I miss taking your classes at Dawsons and wish you still taught in the mornings. I go to Ruth's on Thursdays. Miss seeing you and congrats on your pregnancy :)

Love,
Shannon

Merritt said...

i think the tears can be blamed on your belly!!!